The list below describes a selection of published books, articles, and other media containing information about Mrs. Ford’s life and her role as First Lady. For more details about published sources regarding Mrs. Ford, or relevant issues and events, contact the Ford Library.
- Anthony, Carl Sferrazza. First Ladies: The Saga of the Presidents' Wives and their Power, 1961-1990. New York: William Morrow and Company, Inc., 1991.
- "Betty Ford: The Real Deal" MacNeill/Lehrer Productions, 2009 (DVD)
- Borrelli, Mary Anne. "Competing Conceptions of the First Ladyship: Public Responses to Betty Ford's 60 Minutes Interview." Presidential Studies Quarterly, vol. 31, no.4, 397-414, 2001
- Caroli, Betty Boyd. First Ladies. New York: Oxford University Press, 1987.
- Carter, Rosalyn. First Lady from Plains. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1984.
- Ford, Betty. Glad Awakening. Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1987. [Memoir concerning Mrs. Ford’s recovery from substance abuse and the founding of the Betty Ford Center.]
- _____. Healing and Hope. New York: Putnam’s Sons, 2003. [Betty Ford weaves her own commentary around the first-person narratives of six women treated at the Betty Ford Center.]
- _____. The Times of My Life. New York: Harper & Row, 1978. [Autobiography of her life concluding with her admittance to Long Beach Naval Hospital.]
- Greene, John Robert. Betty Ford: Candor and Courage in the White House. Lawrence, KS: University Press of Kansas, 2004.
- Gutin, Myra. The President's Partner: The First Lady in the Twentieth Century. New York: Greenwood Press, 1989.
- Gutin, Myra G. and Leesa E. Tobin. “‘You've Come a Long Way, Mr. President’: Betty Ford as First Lady” in edited by Bernard J. Firestone, and Alexej Ugrinsky. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 1993.
- Knopf-Newman, Marcy Jane. Beyond Slash, Burn, and Poison: Transforming Breast Cancer Stories into Action. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press, 2004.
- Rohrer, Karen M. “’If There Was Anything You Forgot to Ask…’:The Papers of Betty Ford.” Prologue: Journal of the National Archives, vol. 19, no. 2, 143-153, 1987.
- Rosebush, James. First Lady, Public Wife. Lanham, MD: Madison Books, 1987.
- Tobin, Leesa. “Betty Ford as First Lady: A Woman for Women.” Presidential Studies Quarterly, vol. 20, no. 4, 761-767, 1990.
- Troy, Gil. Affairs of State: The Rise and Rejection of the Presidential Couple Since World War II. New York: The Free Press, 1997.
- Weidenfeld, Sheila Rabb. First Lady's Lady: With the Fords at the White House. New York: G.P. Putnam's Sons, 1979.
Last Updated: April 3, 2012